The Carr’s story began when Jonathan Dodgson Carr first started his bakery business in Carlisle in 1831. In 1837 he moved the business to Caldewgate and built a flour mill, bread and biscuit bakery, with two further factories opening in 1890 and 1900.
In 1841 a Royal Warrant was granted by Queen Victoria, making Carr’s the first biscuit maker to receive the accolade.
At the end of 19th century, water was used instead of fat to blend the dry ingredients together to keep the biscuits fresh on long ship voyages. Carr’s Table Water was originally eaten by sailors but as word spread, they were enjoyed by many others as well. We acquired Carr’s in 1972. Since then we have extended the range to include delicious Table Water flavoured crackers, indulgent Carr’s Melts and a handy Carr’s Selection pack.